He didn't seem like he felt very well this morning, but insisted that he was well enough to go to work. Shortly after getting there, he called and said he felt like his eyes were shifty and everything seemed shaky. The doctor felt like it might be a headache-less migraine. He has been in bed ever since; not eating or drinking much at all. We are hoping, once again, for a better day tomorrow.
Adalyn has continued to be very worried about James. She puts the little tub from the hospital on the bed all the time and tells James, "I put the tub on the bed in case you need to throw up." My mom gave Adalyn a bell that she can give to James so he can ring for her when he is sick in bed. When I asked Adalyn what the bell was for she said, "in case Dad needs to sing a song, or read a book, or so I can get him some water. I will say to Dad [when he rings the bell], can I help you?" Adalyn was so excited, I hope James will feel well enough to use it sometimes. I think all the ups and downs are getting very hard on all of us, especially the kids. When James was back in bed today, Adalyn insisted that the babysitter let her take her doctor tools upstairs to check out James. She is good at taking blood pressure and listening to hearts, although it really bothers her that the plastic ear pieces on the plastic stethoscope don't stay in place well. It is a little alarming to her when, upon exam, she finds that James has taken a princess band-aid without asking (she calls it stealing). Adalyn is a sweet girl, I hope she can make it through all this without some kind of anxiety disorder. Ava, on the other hand, is just as happy as can be. I have decided she is just comfort eating to maintain her sweet, happy nature. She just eats and eats and eats. Ava has become a stress ball for people. They come to visit and can't stop squeezing her legs because they are so chubby. Adalyn worries while Ava eats. They are the best of friends and are so happy to have each other!
Hi Kel! I've thought about all of you and the many struggles this must present to you, but I was thinking that maybe one of the hardest as a mom is to see your kids see James sick. And to worry how it might be affecting them or stressing them. I don't know if it will help you or not, but I wanted to tell you that I clearly remember growing up with a sick parent the entire time my mom was alive, and I really never remember it being too much for me. I totally remember seeing her in the hospital, visiting her after surgeries, seeing her sick in bed all the time. After she got cancer, there were times when I would tiptoe by her bedroom as she was throwing up, or I'd see her dragging in thru the door after chemo leaning on my dad, and I'd feel sad or just very....aware of her illness. But I can honestly say that it didn't stress me like crazy or give me issues. I know Adalyn is her own little person and we all react differently to things, and she and I may be different in our reactions, but I wanted to share my own experience hoping that it'd give you some comfort! It actually amazes me all the time when I think of my childhood that it didn't scar me or something, but it really didn't at all. Children are very sensitive but also very resilient, and I think also very aware of how other adults are feeling in their house. So with you as a great mom, I think your little girls will be just fine. I hope James is getting a little break in the sickness and feeling better! If you're up for it, I'm excited to see you in a few weeks! love, syl
ReplyDelete